What does Khong mean in Lao?
In Lao or Thai languages the Mekong River is called “Mae Nam Khong”. ‘Mae’ means ‘mother’ and ‘nam’ translates as water’ in the meaning of ‘River’. While the name ‘Khong’ derives from the Sanskrit word ‘ganga’, which is the name for India’s holy river Ganges.
What do you call a Lao person?
Linguistically, there is no distinction between descriptors of the country, its people, its culture and so on. There is only one word: Lao. … In English however, both ‘Lao’ and ‘Laotian‘ are widely used.
What does Ngam mean in Laos?
Beautiful. (Swai is the Thai word) Ngam Lai. Very beautiful.
How do you greet someone in Laos?
- The standard greeting in Laos is ‘sabaideebor’, which means ‘how are you?’ …
- If someone greets another by saying ‘sabaideebor’, the receiver will usually reply with ‘sabaidee’ (‘it goes well’).
- Informally, Lao may greet each other with ‘kin khow leo bor?
What does Satu mean in Lao?
3. Satu. Put simply, satu is the Buddhist equivalent of “Amen”.
Why is Laos so poor?
Despite rapid growth, Laos remains one of the poorest countries in Southeast Asia. A landlocked country, it has inadequate infrastructure and a largely unskilled work force.
How do you say hello in Malaysian?
Common Malay Greetings And How To Pronounce It
- Hello/Hai (Hello/Hi)
- Apa khabar? (How are you?)
- Selamat pagi (Good morning)
- Selamat tengahari (Good afternoon)
- Selamat petang (Good evening)
- Selamat malam (Good night)
- Selamat tinggal/Babai (Goodbye/Bye)